Wednesday, September 12, 2012

It was the best of times...It was the worst of times...

My grandfather has been fighting pulmonary fibrosis for about 3 months now.  He went into the hospital 2 weeks ago and we brought Mammaw to Birmingham for a "vacation".  She stayed with my Aunt and Uncle for a week and then she stayed with us.


If you have read my blog any amount of time you would know I'm in love with my grandmother.  She is an amazing, strong, funny woman.  I was so excited she was going to stay with us.  And we had such a great time with her.  We laughed a lot.  We talked, we hung out, she said she had Chinese for the first time with us, she told us stories, she loved on my kids, she read to them and scratched their backs, they brushed her hair and put her socks on her, they snuggled with her and loved on her.  We sang hymns, she wrote shorthand for me and a special note that I may have dictated but she said it was true (ha).  I tucked her in bed every night and it was beautiful.  A big hug and kiss made everything ok enough for her to rest.  I love her (period).







"Dear Page, You are the greatest grandchild that ever was"



That was the best of times.  Except...she got a cold, and that made me sad for her, then I got a cold, then I was in a wreck, then...we got a call Monday to bring Mammaw up to see PawPaw because he was tired and done fighting.  So, that's what we did.  With family gathered around we hugged and kissed Pawpaw goodbye.  Tears flowed, but his smile was never fading.  He was ready.  He was ready. 


He went to be with the Lord, a place he forever longed to be, Sept. 11th around 1 a.m.  And our lives were changed.  Forever changed...



1 comment:

Shalita said...

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL POST with PRECIOUS PICTURES!!!!

Love you and love your heart!!