Thursday, April 14, 2011

I want one!

A "Thankful Jar" that is! The nursery director (Alison Criag) at Briarwood wrote the below article. I love that idea!

If I could wish for one quality in my children, it would not be brilliance, success, or attractiveness. It would be gratitude. Gratitude is the source of happiness and goodness, the two most important things in life. Colossians 3:15 says, And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. And it’s gratitude that makes thankfulness possible. So how do we raise grateful children? Countless times our family has seen God’s hand in our lives, so it seems like it would be easy. But despite a constant stream of blessings and answered prayers, the problems of the world can make us forget all we’ve been given. Matthew 6:31–32 says, Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shallwe drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. So, to help my kids (and me) be grateful for and remember the blessings we’ve been given, we keep a “Thankful” jar. Every time a prayer is answered we write it down put it in the jar. When tough times happen, we open the jar and look through what’s inside.Things like the unexpected bonus check that paid for a set of braces; the blessing of two healthy babies; the offer letter for the new job; insurance paying for the new roof; and finding out it wasn’t cancer. I look forward to seeing how God will answer our future needs and watching our jar grow with answered prayers. Colossians 3:17 reminds us: And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. For us, the jar helps us to be grateful—for goodness sake. (Alison Craig)

The Lord most definitely does do amazing things and I'm sad at it's only the BIG things that I remember. I need a jar like this so when I get that "I'll never have that, do that, be that, know that, can't do that, out of reach attitude" I'll have a jar that reminds me how good our Father is and that he most definitely looks after his children and he provides what they need. The Lord is so good. For that I am most GRATEFUL!

2 comments:

Trace Car Driver said...

great idea... thanks page! and i also loved the court post below. i can def relate to those feelings of judgement. needed the reminder that he's already taken care of it for us. hope ya'll got everything taken care of and are free and clear of the old house! love you!

Laine said...

Love the Thankful Jar! I'm reading a good book--1000 Gifts. It is all about being thankful in EVERYTHING!

MISS YOU PAGE DOLLAR