Friday, October 22, 2010

Happy Birthday Mamma


My sweet beautiful grandmother - my one and only - turns 80 today! Words just can't express how I really feel about her!






Some of my favorite memories are:
  • My grandmother used to have REALLY long hair and she would let me and my sister brush it. And our brush would go WAY far down her back. She definitely wasn't tender headed. I even remember what the brush looked like. It was yellow with black bristles.
  • When my sister and I would spend the night with her she would get in the middle of us and with both arms going she would scratch our backs until we were asleep. Now, having kids I know that was NO easy task.
  • She used to pull a chair up to the sink and let us "wash dishes" - another think I can't believe she let us do. What a mess! And if we would break something she was never mad at us!
  • One time she took us to the house my mom and uncle grew up in and she started to cry and all the grandkids were hugging her telling her it's ok and I just piped up and said, "Dry up Mamma!" And that did it! Everyone started laughing and she did "dry up" - I hate for people to be sad - especially my grandmother. Now, with kids of my own, I'm starting to understand the sentiment in things!
  • I remember her coming to our church and us going to hers and she sings SO loud in the congregation! I'm JUST like her. I know that's where I get it from. I LOVE IT!!
  • When it was time to stay with her for a week out of the summer she would come pick us up and when we would leave from picking up my cousins she would say..."Let's take the scenic route!" I will say that now when it seems we are going the LONG WAY!
  • I remember all her cars - the black beetle we would fight over who was going to sit in front for the air conditioner and she would say "We didn't even has AC when I was little!" I remember thinking how horrible that would have been!
  • Speaking of cars - she had a stationwagon and we could sit in the very back. Everyone would chant for her to race the other drivers on Oakwood Ave. I would get so scared if needle got to 55. 55 was in RED...I thought the car would explode if it got to that number. I'm sure she wondered why I was so freaked out about it. I freak out like Anna by the way so it wasn't a quiet freakout! HA!
  • The holidays are always so fun - we spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with her. Every year we would get a hundred dollars. And it makes me laugh at how excited we all got - EVERY YEAR! She has a bunch of hooligans for grandkids - that's for sure!
  • One Halloween she surprised us with a visit. I was getting ready as Rainbow Bright and they knocked on our door. She had a Garfield mask on and I was SOOO extremely happy to see her. We both put on our masks and got a picture together. How about I only had on my red tights and a mask! I didn't care - I was just so happy she was there! I have to say that was one of my all time favorite Halloweens!
  • Now that we are grown I love how she likes to snuggle up against us. She is so tiny and always has been!! She likes to hold hands and she'll put her head on my shoulder - it's a wonderful place to be!
  • I love how she loves our kids even though her memory is failing! She doesn't always know who they belong to but she loves them because they are ours!

She's amazing! I love to see how she's shaped my life. I just plain love her!
Happy 80th Birthday Mamma!


And if you are feeling a little weepy after this (like I am now) - here is Anna to say "DRY UP!"

6 comments:

Trace Car Driver said...

aww page that is the SWEETEST post ever. you def need to email it to pawpaw so he can read it to her, or let her read it!! she will love remembering the good ol days!! :)
i love hearing all your memories of way back when. i will def agree with you that she sings loud- i love it! and that she has a lot of hooligans for grandkids. HAHA!!
super sweet post. happy birthday mammaw!!!

Silena Cvacho said...

Those are some of my favorite memories too!! I remember too, her having to shoo the cows out of the barn because the boy cousins wouldn't come down from the loft if the cows were near... She makes the best dressing patties ever... She always kept her oatmeal creme pies in the cabinet under the stove... she would watch Alabama Football and stomp and holler!! She's the Best!! Happy Birthday Mammaw!!

Shalita said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!!!!!!!! I loved my Mamaw and cherished the time we had with her and the sweet memories! I only wish my little two could have gotten to know her. Danay was around her for seven years so she has some cute memories! Jacey Grace is just sure that she knew Mamaw and so I just let her think she is right. Jacey Grace and my Mamaw remind me so much of each other, it is amazing! They are/were both a hoot and there is no doubt about that!

Thanks for sharing your GREAT memories and making me stop a moment to reflect on mine!

Happy Birthday Mamma! You seem like a WONDERFUL lady and you have a precious family!!!

Shalita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Ferrill's said...

Thank you for this good morning cry! A very sweet teary feeling for a very sweet post for a very sweet grandmother! Now I feel like I know her too! Precious!

Shalita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.