Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Details

For those who want the short answer...GREAT! For those interested in the DETAILS keep reading!

First of all, a friend of mine at work prayed for me before I left. She prayed the Lord would make this labor and delivery quick and painless. I was like, YEAH RIGHT - quick but surely not painless! Well, the Lord was merciful to me and obviously answered her prayer! I love her praying for me!!


I went to my last Dr. visit April 9 and as you know I was dilated and had been for a couple of weeks. Dr. Ross said if there are ANY contractions on the monitor they would "help" the process. So, I was off Thursday and rested all day long...basically put myself on bedrest...watched TV, slept...ALL DAY! It was GREAT! That night around 11 I started having that nauseated feeling and thought it could be the start of something (which made me nervous) but I was able to fall asleep. Then around 2:30 a.m. I could feel "timeable contractions" but it was definitely braxton hicks like contractions. They were not "stop you in your tracks" or anything just noticeable and they were 10 mins apart. I woke Jason up and he said "let's go!" He did not want to chance it or be on the side of the road. I felt like a goober! I knew they would send me home because they weren't even painful! But we tried.


So by about 3:30 a.m. we were at the hospital. I only had to be hooked up the the monitors - no IV or anything b/c my contractions were so far apart. They said with the third baby you can't be at the hospital too early! I was 5 cm - which was some progression even with the light contractions. So, we basically camped out at the hospital until 6:30 a.m. when the Dr. came in for the day and said - "You look like your having a baby today!" Dr. Ross was on call and we were happy about that - since we had some discussion with him that week about him possibly being the one to deliver. He gave us our POA (plan of action). He said my progression worked in my favor (to be induced), and I had the Strep B so I needed at least 4 hours of antibiotics - which he said is the main reason this worked so well! I had Strep B with Anna but she came so fast I did not get all those antibiotics but it all worked out with her. I had told the nurse to tell him NOT TO BREAK MY WATER without an Epidural because I went so fast with Anna and I didn't want that to happen again.


SO, our POA goes like this...he said we aren't going to do anything but IV and Antibiotics for about an hour, then epidural, then pitocin, then break my water or water then pitocin (can't remember). He said by noon we should have a baby. So around 7:30 a.m. we were officially "being helped!" It was painless!


My only complaints and I feel like I shouldn't even do that was when they were doing my IV and couldn't catch a vein and then the epidural! I still would not have even attempted giving birth without one but I had some side effects from it. My heart immediately started racing (and if you know me - I did not FREAK OUT - I tried my derndest to stay calm) and then after that my left eye started to dilate and get droopy! Again, if you know me - I thought I was having a stroke! But the Dr. said it's just a side effect and it will go away in about 30 mins to an hour. And he was right! It did go away - even before Mary got here.


As you know we did not find out what the gender of the baby was! Which before that day we weren't sure we would do that again. It wasn't horrible waiting, it actually didn't bother me, but if the excitement wasn't there - why not find out at 20 weeks! WELL, we will definitely not find out again!! It was SO FUN! Dr. Ross came in and said - you didn't find out but it's a girl! He said he had delivered 16 girls - NO BOYS and he said upstairs there are noticeably a lot of girls! The heart rate on the monitor when I was first got there was 125. The nurse said, you really can't go by that b/c right now it's a boy and then she waited a minute and said, now it's a girl. Her heart rate was all over the place. So - no longer will I go by that old wives tale - So, when the Dr. was there to deliver the nurse said "Wait, what does everyone think!" I stuck with BOY but everyone else said GIRL! This is kinda gross but when the head came out ALL OF THEM changed their mind - they all said, Oh the face looks like a boy - I'm changing! So, when Jason said, "HELLO MARY!" I just cried and laughed it was so exciting! The anticipation at that moment even got Jason. I've rarely seen Jason that excited - kinda giddy!



Mary Selah Dollar was born Friday April 11, 2008 at 12:29 p.m. She was 7 lbs. 13 oz and 20" long - I even noticed she was small (by the way, that's small to me!). We've really enjoyed her these past two weeks. She fits in quite nicely and we couldn't imagine life without her. I asked Noah if he loved her already, he said, YES! We talked about how weird it was that we didn't have to try and love her that emotion just came naturally - we are family! I just adore my family of 5!!


My feet after my DAY of bedrest - back to normal!

HELLO MARY!!

Thank You Dr. Ross!

11 comments:

care-in said...

Thanks for the details...I like details!

Southern Cheesehead said...

Awwwww...sweet little Dr. Ross - he delivered my Carson - my caboose! I'm glad it all went well and I can't believe I still haven't seen her or held her!

Trace Car Driver said...

i love l & d stories. HOW FUN! i could listen to them all day. i am so glad she is here and i'm glad ya'll don't have to "try" to love her. that's sweet that noah loves her so much! i'm counting down til i see her again............ and btw, you CRACK ME UP! your stories are great, i was trying my derndest not to laugh. HAHAHA :) love ya'll!

The Ferrill's said...

Hello Mary! What a great way to find out, Page!
She is SO beautiful and I'm so glad I got to hold her and snuggle with her (albeit the steering wheel got in the way, but still!)
Thanks for the details! ;)

Christy said...

So sweet Page!

Amy said...

Told ya you would love the surprise!! Did it with all 3 of mine!! No better way... (just my opinion)

Amy said...

Oh, yeah...what would Jason have said if she had been a boy???

Dollar General said...

Hello Isaac!

Amy said...

Well, it's a good thing it wasn't a boy cause Ivey's riding instructor just named her new colt Isaac!

Missy said...

Who names a horse Isaac?

Great details! Glad its going well for ya'll!

Rachel Garcia said...

that's what i've always said about not finding out.. its not that "great" during pregnancy.. but the delivery is just unbelievable. When in your life do you get that kind of anticipation? Yeah yeah .. at 20 weeks.. but there is something different about delivery! Its the whole thing, process put together.

Im glad you're feet are better! And that little Mary is adorable!